Northview Community Church of Peterborough Inc. is committed to protecting the privacy of personal information. Personal information is collected, used, maintained, and disclosed in compliance with applicable federal and provincial privacy legislation including, but not limited to, the federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA) (2000, c.5). Privacy legislation, including the federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA) and provincial and territorial legislation establishes rules for the collection, use and disclosure of “personal information.” It addresses two issues:
- the way Northview Community Church of Peterborough Inc. collects, uses, discloses, and protects personal information; and
- the right of individuals to access personal information about themselves.
- Personal information can only be used for the purposes for which it is collected. Specific permission must be sought if personal information is to be used for any other purpose than that for which it was initially collected;
- Personal information is to be stored under lock and key and only certain authorized individuals should have access to it;
- Once the personal information is no longer required, it should be destroyed except in cases where federal and/or provincial retention rules apply.
Categories of individuals for which personal information is being collected and maintained include, but are not limited to: ministry personnel, employees, elected and appointed members, volunteers, donors. Personal employee information may be contained in paper and/or electronic records at Northview Community Church of Peterborough Inc. and is the property of Northview Community Church. All personal information obtained, compiled, maintained, and disclosed for Northview Community Church of Peterborough Inc. by third-party agents and contractors must comply with applicable federal/provincial privacy legislation. All individuals have controlled access to their personal information.
Northview Community Church of Peterborough Inc. is responsible for personal information in its control, which means information, whether factual or subjective in nature, about an identifiable individual. It includes, but is not limited to, health and financial information, such as:
- name and age;
- address, telephone number, and e-mail address;
- medical records;
- identification numbers (such as Social Insurance Numbers);
- income, assets, and transaction information;
- opinions, evaluations, and comments;
- credit records and loan records.
The name, title, and business address or telephone number of an employee in any organization/business is not considered personal information requiring consent prior to sharing with others as this information is available for the general public.
Northview Community Church of Peterborough Inc. will follow the 10 principles for handling personal information as set out in Schedule 1 of the Personal Information Protection and Electronics Document Act of Canada (PIPEDA). These principles are:
- Limiting use, disclosure, and retention
- Individual access
- Identifying purposes
- Limiting collection
- Provision of recourse